Crossing Africa is a once in a lifetime solo expedition by Mario Rigby to trek across the entire African continent from Cape Town, South Africa to Cairo, Egypt by foot and paddle boat only. This is a rigorous two year journey that will cover uncharted terrain while covering 12 countries and a diverse range of environments, including deserts, jungles, and areas of civil unrest. Crossing Africa will be shot, photographed, and blogged, and then be made into a documentary. Donations can be made at GoFundMe.com/CrossingAfrica. Donations will help Rigby find safe places to stay, and help fund video/photography gear, visas, and other travel documents. To follow every step in real time (Supported by SPOT Me device) click here.
To prepare for his journey he completed a 15 day walk from the CN Tower in Toronto to the top of Mount Royal in Montreal, walking 12-15 hours each day, and covering more than 550 kilometres, all by foot. Along the way, Rigby was overwhelmed by the kindness of strangers who took him into their homes, providing warm meals and a place to sleep.
“The drive for curiosity and exploration is vanishing in today's fast-paced and digital world,” said Rigby. “I think unlike past generations, more people are hesitant to venture out and meet strangers. We are all filled with unimaginable potential -- perhaps my adventure will inspire others to move away from their comfort zones and unleash theirs.”
WHAT IS "CROSSING AFRICA"?
A solo expedition by Mario Rigby where he will traverse the African continent from Cape Town to Cairo on foot, by sail or by paddle.
WHY AM I DOING THIS?
The purpose of this mission and for the sake of humanity is to share with you and the rest of the world as best I can my journey following the traces of our great ancestors as I head out into this dangerous and mysterious terrain. I know you will find beauty in these remote parts of the world. I hope to keep you entertained with the unexpected circumstances that I will find along the way that otherwise would never have been exposed to you.
Also, to test the boundaries of human psychological and physiological capabilities. With excellent planning and day-by-day goal settings almost anything is possible.
CROSSING AFRICA BLOG
T-SHIRT & HATS FOR SALE
- When does your trip begin? - November 24th, 2015
- How far is the walk? - 12,000 Km (calculations based on flat terrain)
- How long will your trip take? - Roughly 2 years
- Will you have transportation? - Only foot and/or paddle/sail boat are my forms of transportation. No motor vehicles will be in this expedition
- Who will join you? - This is a solo expedition. However anyone can join me for short duration at any point of the expedition
- How can I help? - To become a part of this exciting mission you can pledge your financial support for as little as $1 - visit this link gofundme.com/crossingafrica or you can e-transfer me to my email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Is it safe? - It is as safe as I am prepared for
- Where will you be sleeping? - The homes of strangers, camping in the wild, schools and charitable organizations along my route
- How much will it cost? - Roughly $15,000. I will be living on $3 to $5 a day on my walking expeditions